This lighthouse was built in 1916 and demolished when Bluff Hill Point Lighthouse (located further south) was built in 1982. We took a side road off the northern side of West Point Road to visit the remains of the West Point Lighthouse (on paper maps this road is named Nettley Bay Road). We found a concrete structure inserted into a rock mound – the base of the old lighthouse.
Mt Cameron West could be seen in the distant north. The Port Hills are the smoother ‘lump’ to the right of the mountain in the photo.At ground level there were other concrete remnants and a grass infested lagoon.